I have a fascination with all kinds of techniques and I think that's why I like making cards and scrapbook pages so much! I saw the May 2012 issue of CardMaker on the newsstand long before I ever got my subscription issue and I just couldn't wait to get my hands on it. The front cover has a beautiful Tim Holtz distressed butterfly tag on it. Fortunately for me, there were directions inside on how to make it! Now, I have to tell you that I never follow directions! So here's my version using some of my materials on hand.
1) Cut out manilla tags from recycled file folder. 5" high and 3" wide. I used "A Child's Year" Cricut Cartridge - tag feature.
2) Grab some white acrylic paint and a paint dauber. (I bought these foam pouncers in the acrylic paint section of Michael's.)
3) Next select a large background stamp. Since I didn't have one, I used these Inkadinkado Floral Damask stamps and covered a large block with them.
4) Apply acrylic paint by using a light coat of paint so keep your dauber fairly dry and evenly coated.
5) Stamp onto tag. Do not press too hard and be sure to remove very carefully.
6) I bought some Ink Potion #9 to help blend my inks. I inked the fantastix with the ink pad and then swirled it into the Ink Potion # 9 on my plastic lid. (A craft mat would be ideal!) Also if you don't have any Ink Potion # 9 - the magazine article said to simply apply the inks with a blending tool and then take a damp paper towel and wipe across it to blend your inks.
7) Apply the ink with light strokes to the tag in desired areas. For this tag I used orange in the upper left and lower right and teal in the upper right and Antique Linen in the lower left. Then I used the SU! celery to blend in areas since it is the lightest color.
8) I then inked the edges with the Antique Linen Distress Ink.
9) I used Black Archival ink to stamp a butterfly (Recollections by Michaels) image. I think Staz-On or Adirondack ink would have been better.
10) Then for just a little more dazzle - I added some Versamark Dazzle in Champagne all over the top of the tag. The embossing ink seemed to bring out more of the original painted stamped images.
11) Added a circle reinforcement sticker I've had forever in my stash. Love to use my oldest supplies on a project! And stamped a little $1 g-Studios image on the bottom of the tag. Then I created a sentiment tag to add on top.
12) Cut a small rectangle from brown cardstock with a height to fit my sentiment and the width at 3" like the tag. Added a bit of the acrylic paint to the stamp and stamped it in place. Goofed up a bit and had to remove a little paint from the inside of my "a's" with my paper piercer. Then took a brown marker to cover up my goof - worked great!
And once again, here's my completed tag! I think I'll follow Tim's lead and attach it to a card and give it to my Mother-In-Law for Mother's Day! Hope you enjoyed my tutorial! Have a blessed day!